Pickled Squash

I hated squash as a kid.

Heck, I am picky about my consumption of any gourd to this day, except for pumpkin.

However, my Grandma West had within her grasp the sole means I would eat squash happily. Delectable, bread-and-butter pickled squash. I completely forgot this stuff was squash. I remember making myself sick on them a time or two, even, before I recalled that they were, indeed, slices of stuff I normally shrunk away from.

All that said, here's my Grandma West's pickled squash recipe. I hope you enjoy it. :)



Pickled Squash

8c. sliced squash
4 onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
½ c. canning salt
3c. sugar
3c. vinegar
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. mustard seed

Put vegetables in sink and sprinkle salt over. Cover with ice cubes and let stand 3 hrs. or overnight. Drain well. Combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seed and celery seed. Bring to boil and boil 1 minute. Put vegetables in and boil for 2 minutes. Put in jars and seal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PB&J Morning Muffins

Tuna Casserole